A Eulogy of a Eulogy from another Planet

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Saturday 2 P.M. after the awkward customs and a walk to the Aglipayan Church (Philippine Independent Church) (separated by a wall from our house), the priest asked the close relatives who will say the Eulogy for Mamang.

I was expecting Papang to talk but he declined, the priest didn't asked anymore but looked at me and said "I'll call you in a minute to give the eulogy". The people in the church and all our relatives couldn't agree more. As much as I know, in our family you wouldn't / cannot, would never / can never expect anyone except me and my brother to step up the stage. Our clan is a a clan of ninjas, hidden away in a secret village without contact to the outside world.

I never had the chance to say no, I was at that very moment the only hope of more than a hundred people. Without them saying, you know that... they are really expecting to hear from me.

In a minute...

In a minute...

20 years of knowing my second mother came flashing back to me like a thousand bees buzzing trying to forcibly enter a hive with a single hole for one bee. I'm sweating cold, what do I need to say to everyone, in behalf of the person in the coffin, in behalf of my family, and the whole of me.

Last words entrusted to someone who is like an unpredictable twister. A broken arrow.

Years of teaching "Public Speaking" would now be tested, it may not be graded but I'm sure it is now worth more than that.

The priest spoke, "We are now to listen to words of the deceased's adopted son, Marc please..."

I delay every step as I grab strength, collect all thoughts and organize them, I was 10 steps away from the rostrum. 20 years in 10 seconds.

I held the mic shaking, I started to have teary eyes. A surprise eulogy is torture, unfair... YOU RECALL EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO RECOLLECT FROM THE PERSON LYING IN THE COFFIN.

every joy

every pain

I took the deepest breath I could take, enough for my chest to look like an eagle tattoo would have no problems for placement of wings.

I exhaled...

I already know what to say...

(to be continued)

0 comments: